Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Since I returned from my vacation on Monday, I've had a LOT of problems accessing the site. I get a notice about the site having compression problems or simply database problems (I've given the exact notice wording to Lamm).

BUT - one of my strongest qualities (for which I'm both famous AND very infamous!) is persistence (those of you who have known me from other sites are shaking your heads in strong agreement there). And so being told I cant' access the site is a notice I simply ignore. "If at first you don't succeed - drive everyone NUTS by sticking with it" to misquote the old proverb. In this case, it seems to eventually work: I try to access back pages rather than the main page (NO IDEA if this is helpful but years ago, a techie at where I was working said that can help) and I just keep trying. Not with "refresh" but starting over. EVENTUALLY..... sometimes..... bingo. It worked again this morning, although I worked at it for maybe a half hour. Could be on my end, of course. I don't like to access personal stuff on my company computer - but I could try and see if the problem is actually with my internet service or computer.

But here's the thing. Unlike CF and most other Christian websites these days, CH is not a business, it's not for profit, no one is getting any money out of this. And no one is paid here, all are volunteers - doing this out of a spirit of service and often out of a sense of worship and ministry. And these "bugs" and complaints from the likes of me are FRUSTRATING because these "bugs" can be very illusive, every hard to identify and exterminate - even for professionals.

I very much appreciate Romanos, Mark and all the rest of staff who work to keep this site humming. Ain't no pleasure cruse. Often frustrating. But always appreciated.

Thank you!

- Josiah

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Thanks for letting us know about this! Romanos is working with Mark and others from various sites to try to figure out what exactly is causing this.
I haven't had any login problems except for Tuesday when I was not home and traveling.

You are absolutely correct in that this site isn't a "cash cow" as I like to call it that you'll find on other such websites. No one here is in it to eke out a living through selling Jesus ;)

If anyone else is having continuing problems, could you please let us know in this thread? Thank you!!!

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes I had it too for a few days. It says the website is down or unreachable and when you try again this time it worked, but the other times I had to wait a few hours. So I went back to Facebook and bored panda to post my nonsense.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello Josiah! :D

First, let me say that we encourage anyone with any kind of issue (technical or otherwise) to feel free to report it. This kind of feedback can be very helpful, because if one user is having an issue, chances are others are as well and if no one reports it it may go unchecked.

We are currently working on a database issue, and hope to get it resolved soon. I have some code in place at the moment as a temporary measure to stave off the problem, but we hope to have a permanent fix for that very soon. I have asked for advice at vBorg, as there are many very knowledgeable and helpful folks there.

I also know of one other user here who has reported getting an error regarding an invalid compression. We changed our compression setting, and at first that seemed to fix the issue, but it has returned for that user as well. But we will persist until we get both of these issues resolved. Persistence is a necessary quality to have when dealing with computers and the internet (and just about any pursuit worth doing), as you well know. :)

So, thank you for taking the time to report what's happening on your end, as this is always helpful when trying to get to the bottom of things. :thumbsup:

Note: I tried posting this about an hour ago, but my connection went down because of weather. :D

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
Now I only get a database error when I click on a like, but when I go back, for the rest it works.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I've had intermittent problems as well. Sometimes it's really weird in that it will work on one device but a couple of minutes later it won't work on another device.

The compression problems have gone away for me but I still get intermittent database errors. Gotta love the generic error messages where even if you note down every single part of the message it still doesn't give the techie guys anything useful to work with.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I received "database error" messages on Wednesday and once today (Thursday) but since I am 11 or 12 ahead of the USA east coast and around 15 or 16 ahead of the west coast USA I imagine it would be Tuesday and Wednesday in the USA.

Romanos

God is good.
Executive Administrator
Community Team
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Thank you everyone for your patience, I know it is frustrating as it has been for us as well. :)

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Hello Josiah! :D

First, let me say that we encourage anyone with any kind of issue (technical or otherwise) to feel free to report it. This kind of feedback can be very helpful, because if one user is having an issue, chances are others are as well and if no one reports it it may go unchecked.

We are currently working on a database issue, and hope to get it resolved soon. I have some code in place at the moment as a temporary measure to stave off the problem, but we hope to have a permanent fix for that very soon. I have asked for advice at vBorg, as there are many very knowledgeable and helpful folks there.

I also know of one other user here who has reported getting an error regarding an invalid compression. We changed our compression setting, and at first that seemed to fix the issue, but it has returned for that user as well. But we will persist until we get both of these issues resolved. Persistence is a necessary quality to have when dealing with computers and the internet (and just about any pursuit worth doing), as you well know. :)

So, thank you for taking the time to report what's happening on your end, as this is always helpful when trying to get to the bottom of things. :thumbsup:

Note: I tried posting this about an hour ago, but my connection went down because of weather. :D

Thanks!!!!

BTW, I just accessed the site perfectly - first try - no problem. Something you have done might have done the trick; let's hope so. Or maybe I just got lucky, lol. Sure do appreciate all you guys do!

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I just got database errors when trying to access the User CP. It refused to let me in for maybe 10 minutes, then worked just fine.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
So far ok, was gone yesterday and part of today but so far ok

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When I can't access this site.... I grieve. LOL.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Got database error this morning before I got in

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think you and I try logging in at the same time each morning and it took me 3 tries to get in.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I could not get connected to CH today. I received "database error" as error message. I tried three times then gave up and watched X-Men Apocalypse which seems to me to be a very Catholic name for a film. X being short of Christ and Apocalypse being the name we give to the last book of the holy scriptures :)

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I could not connect to CH earlier (in spite of LOTS of tries)..... that persistent "database error." Then, about 2 hours later - bingo, first try.

BTW.... I referred someone here and they actually tried to visit but couldn't. Ouch.

I know you guys are working on this!!!!

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I've also been having sporadic database issues that stop me connecting.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have been able to determine that the session table, which stores information regarding users being logged in, has somehow been reduced in size and is 1/1024 as large as it should be. And so it fills up very quickly and throws an error. We have code in place to constantly prune that table of expired rows, but there are instances where people are going to get errors or be logged off even.

All of our attempts to restore its size have failed (it's a MEMORY table), and so what I am thinking now is that the server host will have to be contacted to edit the my.cnf file on their server and restart the database. I have little experience with this kind of issue...I just write code. :)

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I (and I'm sure all agree with me) REALLY appreciate all you guys are doing....... it's frustrating for everyone..... But THANK YOU for addressing this, as best as you can. I'm confident it will get corrected.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
The most frustrating part of this issue is knowing our community is having trouble logging in, browsing the site and posting. If it was something very difficult to solve, but did not affect the community so fundamentally, then it wouldn't be so bad. The challenge of solving a problem can actually be fun, but when the problem is keeping people from using the site or preventing new users from registering, that's no fun at all. :)

What is very nice though, is the patience and understanding everyone is showing. It is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom