Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I'm a really crafty person ;) LOL I enjoy doing all kinds of crafts and am glad I'll have time this fall and winter to do a few projects. I can knit and crochet but knitting is my favorite of the two. I can do cross stitch and needlepoint and cross stitch is my favorite of those. I want to learn to do felting so I can make small animals using real fur! :;;D:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I'm a really crafty person ;) LOL I enjoy doing all kinds of crafts and am glad I'll have time this fall and winter to do a few projects. I can knit and crochet but knitting is my favorite of the two. I can do cross stitch and needlepoint and cross stitch is my favorite of those. I want to learn to do felting so I can make small animals using real fur! :;;D:

Eek!!! real animal fur!!!!!!!!!! for shame :p

I watched this music video and remembered now much the chap singing it was able to curl one side of his upper lip! Quite remarkable :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OFpfTd0EIs

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Outside of graphic art and music (and beer/alcohol making) - some of the crafty things I try/do are simple or relatively simple projects to help save money.

One more recent example was around a year or so I saw a few youtube videos on people using "candle heaters", and decided to give it a go. The first experiment was just with 3 terracotta pots of increasing size inside each other, heated by a candle. Really not much heat - and not nearly enough to heat a room. So I improved it and cut a length of steel (threaded) rod - and added some washers and bolts - and stuck it through the top hole, and sealed off the top. Better - more heat, but still not enough. Replaced candle with a thick glass container filled with pure alcohol, that burns through a wick that comes through a hole I cut in the top cap. Better still - more heat - but not enough.

Because the heat hasn't been enough - I've still been using my oil heater - which costs a fair amount of money to run (electricity is not cheap in Aus). So this last week I bought an even larger terracotta pot to put over the original design, laid out on bricks, and minimizing to a degree the inlet air. This version is more successful, and it's heating my study right now. I still feel it can be improved though, and will probably try this next year:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm so glad you kept trying! Persistence paid off :) This is where having a tiny house would come in handy!! It's a shame my husband wanted a larger home than what we used to have even though it's nice when family comes to visit, it's big on bills for heating/cooling.

We have a gas fireplace (never use it because it eats our propane) and the vents really were awful for drafts in the winter. My big craft project was to buy a huge magnetic sheet but it was white showing and I wanted black so I also bought some black contact paper (it is actually chalkboard contact paper LOL) and covered it over the magnetic sheet before cutting it to size. I can't wait for winter now because I don't have to throw a blanket over the vents! LOL

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
The closest I ever came to enjoying crafts, was building World War II vintage aircraft models with my dad when I was a kid. He became a kid when we would work on them, and I think that's what I enjoyed.

I tried a few times as an adult to build models, but without my dad helping, I usually wound up wanting to smash the model with my fists because I just don't have the patience he did for such delicate work.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Oh my, Mark!! You played war with the aircrafts! LOL

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The closest I ever came to enjoying crafts, was building World War II vintage aircraft models with my dad when I was a kid. He became a kid when we would work on them, and I think that's what I enjoyed.

I tried a few times as an adult to build models, but without my dad helping, I usually wound up wanting to smash the model with my fists because I just don't have the patience he did for such delicate work.

Ha, don't ever try dismantling and reassembling a three-train clock :)

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
I used to belong to a craft club long ago. I really enjoyed putting little projects together. The things I made looked nice. I am into doing art work when I feel like it but haven't felt like it recently.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When I stopped working I thought I'd have tons of time to do more artwork but no. I did find some of my supplies and dreamed about drawing again but that's not the same!

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When is the holiday?

I can't carve pumpkins anymore since I'm allergic to them! I get hives up and down my arms. I used to do some amazing carvings before people came up with patterns to use.

onlyme

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Married
When is the holiday?

I can't carve pumpkins anymore since I'm allergic to them! I get hives up and down my arms. I used to do some amazing carvings before people came up with patterns to use.
Up here in Canada it's the second Monday of October.

I liked the video of Bernadette Macias carving pumpkins.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I've just been looking into ways to cut a glass bottle. There are so many ways to do it, although most of them are little more than derivatives of "score the bottle, then thermally stress it until it cracks along the score".

The engineer in me is thinking of ways to rig a bottle to a belt-driven turning tool and a diamond wheel so you can just put the bottle in place and press a button to do the job. Of course it would cost enough to set up such a rig that it wouldn't be economically viable unless you're going through probably hundreds of bottles, but that doesn't stop the mental cogs whirring a bit.

Top Bottom