Religious Affiliation
Other Religion
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
No
Good afternoon all, had a hot mocha and an iced coffee. For lunch today : oven-baked chicken pot pie. Hanging around the internet till dinner and falling asleep tonight.

Michael

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
He's adorable! Happy Birthday to him!

Thank you, friend! :smile:

Being Autistic, and with ADHD, our little Joshua Caleb doesn't really understand about Birthday's, which is a little sad, but he did enjoy the cupcakes (at least the frosting!), and his new Trampoline! :)

Naiwen

Religious Affiliation
Other Religion
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
Good night all, been playing “Fire Emblem, Radiant Dawn” à bit, the moment binging “Love better than Immortality” till dinner and resting tonight.

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Woohoo I've got a buyer for my old car! I really was humble with the price, 1,600 for a car that's blue booked at $3000... needed a little cosmetic work, driver side window crank, hood dent, loose fan knob, but I inherited my moms car and I need the money quick since I missed about a month of work.
What kinda car was it?

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Got some more ceiling cavity filled with fiberglass and some more insulation panels cut, trimmed and fitted. Along the way I found a short wall stud attached to another one with a construction grade nail that was too long. Getting that removed was interesting and, since it didn't need anything even remotely as strong as that, I resecured the stud with a couple of 3" screws.

I had hoped to get a little more done but noticed a tiny gap in the mortar in one of the joints so needed to fix that, and of course I can't put a panel in that section until the mortar dries. I also had to deal with a section where the studs aren't even close to parallel so it took more effort than I had expected to cut the panels to the right size to fit them in. And then came the section that has a big step in it, where the end stud is made up of two parts on top of having uneven studs. Thankfully I managed to get it cut almost exactly to the size it needed to be, which was a relief.

I've got a few more panels cut to approximate size ready to be trimmed and installed, I just need to figure out exactly where power sockets are going to go and how to get the cable between them all, then I can figure what I'm doing with the slightly awkward and inaccessible bits below floor level. I'm thinking I might see if I can drill holes below the floor level, run cables there, and stuff fiberglass into all the awkward areas rather than trying to cut panels to fit around back boxes and cables. Then I can drywall from the top down, which will leave a small gap at the bottom, but the baseboards will cover up the gap - all I'll need is a shim on the studs so the baseboard doesn't fit unevenly. I've also managed to create a route to get the power cable from the room down into the basement, so from there it's easy enough to just pull more cable through and route it to the breaker panel.

With any luck I'll be ready to drywall within a few days.

Naiwen

Religious Affiliation
Other Religion
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
Good morning all, had about an 11 hours sleep last night, enjoying my usual breakfast and morning coffee.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Thank you, friend! :smile:

Being Autistic, and with ADHD, our little Joshua Caleb doesn't really understand about Birthday's, which is a little sad, but he did enjoy the cupcakes (at least the frosting!), and his new Trampoline! :)

I want a trampoline!! They're so much fun. Is it the above ground kind or the one that's on the ground so you can walk on and off easily?

Naiwen

Religious Affiliation
Other Religion
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
Good afternoon all, sipping an iced coffee and a latte. Lunching on leftovers with orange juice. Doing music therapy and aroma therapy till dinner and sleeping tonight.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Fun and games clearing stuff out of my working room so I've actually got space to, you know, actually do some work. It's been rather tedious trying to move a ladder around the room with furniture in the middle, and to try and get around without tripping on the rather curious hybridised separators I've rigged together. There's still furniture in the middle but at least there's not as much stuff around the edges. It's clear enough for me to do the next part of the work. I'll need to move some more stuff before I can drywall in there though.

Then a walk because it was sunny - just a short walk around town rather than a long walk in the woods. Once I've had a drink I'll be back to trimming and fitting panels, and then running some cables. Maybe it won't be too long before I can get this room ready to roll.

Michael

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I want a trampoline!! They're so much fun. Is it the above ground kind or the one that's on the ground so you can walk on and off easily?

This is his new one! Bands this time instead of springs, and rated for 330 pounds, so hopefully it will last longer than the last three! :D

75210302_10156457718361316_5537903403801247744_n.jpg

The first three, like below, which were adult exercise trampolines and rated at 220 lbs, Joshua broke springs on, and I had to duct tape the vinyl cover. And he's barely even 50 lbs now! A friend told us, they should have Joshua test these before they sell them. 'Cause if a 40-50 lb kid is breaking the springs... !! :;;D:

71151850_10156403536846316_3113125770839457792_n.jpg

But thank God for these! They have been a huge blessing as the jumping is an outlet for Joshua's stimming... and it saved our couch from total ruin! :disgonbegood:

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Didn't get much insulation work done, got sick of tripping over stuff so cleared out a bunch of stuff so I had space to work. Then set to trimming a few laths that go behind door frames and ceiling joists - they had to be cut flush so I can drywall the full length of the ceiling and the walls. That was an interesting process....

Then got to feeding more cable ready to get it connected to the breaker panel, and a more thorough cleanup. Tomorrow I can start drilling holes around the room to run cables to where the rest of the sockets are going to be, and then put the lower pieces of insulation panel into place. The bit at the very bottom, in the floor cavity, will most likely end up stuffed with fiberglass to catch and contain any drafts that manage to get past everything else.

Naiwen

Religious Affiliation
Other Religion
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
Good morning all, had about 13 hours sleep last night, having cereal, milk and blueberries for breakfast and my morning coffee.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
had staff meeting and supervision all morning and now resting a little before my appointment later with a client

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
FIghting with routing cables. Drilling holes in the floor of one room so I can route a cable under a door, which in turn meant endless trips up and down stairs to feed the cable and get it to the other side of the door. I got the primary cable fed from the room all the way back to the breaker panel with a bunch of new holes drilled along the way. One of them was an experience - I ended up with a 3/4" spade bit with two 12" extenders attached to it - I was trying to drill through at least 6" of joists but where I couldn't get at either face easily.

And then for good measure I found the section of roof that I had fixed just a few weeks ago is leaking again, so I got water in the room I'd hoped to get drywalled by the end of the month. So now it looks like the drywall isn't going to be happening, and I need to come up with a Plan B to get the room insulated before it gets properly cold out there.

Right now it seems life is a collection of impossible battles.

Naiwen

Religious Affiliation
Other Religion
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
Good morning all, been sleeping for about 13 hours last night, breakfast is a peanut butter sandwich and my morning coffee.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Debating going for a walk in the woods before getting back to trying to figure out what best to do with this room and the roof above it. I'm thinking if I can cut the bottoms off the slates then if I get any other leaks I can catch the water with a drip tray in the attic, I just don't know if there are likely to be undesirable consequences to using a chisel to break the bottoms off the slates. The slates I want to break aren't exposed to the elements, but somewhere above it is so I don't want to find I broke a seal or a joint and end up with a flood. Of course roofing professionals are all but impossible to get at short notice, which really doesn't help.

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Debating going for a walk in the woods before getting back to trying to figure out what best to do with this room and the roof above it. I'm thinking if I can cut the bottoms off the slates then if I get any other leaks I can catch the water with a drip tray in the attic, I just don't know if there are likely to be undesirable consequences to using a chisel to break the bottoms off the slates. The slates I want to break aren't exposed to the elements, but somewhere above it is so I don't want to find I broke a seal or a joint and end up with a flood. Of course roofing professionals are all but impossible to get at short notice, which really doesn't help.
Walk through the woods in the morning sounds peaceful.

Definitely use a cold chisel if your gonna go to town on roofing slate. Best to have something strong behind it if beating on it so it doesn't just break at the point where it is fastened. Maybe post a pic or two? Maybe draw out where you want to cut it on the slate and hit that line with small pilots like a perferation...am I spelling that wrong or is it just not a word I wonder...

peace

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We got home last night from our long drive after visiting family and I went grocery shopping this morning and now am going to do 4 loads of laundry today.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Walk through the woods in the morning sounds peaceful.

Definitely use a cold chisel if your gonna go to town on roofing slate. Best to have something strong behind it if beating on it so it doesn't just break at the point where it is fastened. Maybe post a pic or two? Maybe draw out where you want to cut it on the slate and hit that line with small pilots like a perferation...am I spelling that wrong or is it just not a word I wonder...

peace

I love walking in woods, the physical exertion paired with the sense of solitude is often just what I need. My wife says I get home looking physically drained but utterly peaceful.

The problem with the slates is that they are attached to the roof so putting something solid behind them is tricky. Even getting at them is tricky - it involves balancing slightly awkwardly on a ladder that can't be positioned where I want because the wall is in the way. As long as the slates above don't get damaged it's not a big deal if the slates I want to break end up destroyed - they aren't exposed to the weather and at present are little more than a liability. I'd really rather lift them off but everything else around them makes that impossible. In an ideal world I'd use an angle grinder to cut them but there's no way I'm getting an angle grinder into the space I have.

I've got a nice new cold chisel I picked up yesterday evening, so I think when I get back it might be time to start using a hammer to get what I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom