Doesn't it scare you about the news?

Wilhemena

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I don't know who to believe anymore when it comes to news sources, do you? I turn to my tv and see the news slanted to one side on one channel and to another side on another and then I go online and I find out that there are news sites that aren't even real and people trust in them for their news sources. When my grandbabies are researching papers for school who are they supposed to trust and how will their children and grandbabies know which news sources from the past gave real news? We are going to see an epidemic of people believing lies that are sourced out as being facts by these news sites and our future children will be following along blindly so doesn't that seem scary?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I agree but facts can be shaped many ways, thats the problem

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I see your point. I think we have to allow the Holy Spirit guide us into all truth.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I don't know who to believe anymore when it comes to news sources, do you? I turn to my tv and see the news slanted to one side on one channel and to another side on another and then I go online and I find out that there are news sites that aren't even real and people trust in them for their news sources. When my grandbabies are researching papers for school who are they supposed to trust and how will their children and grandbabies know which news sources from the past gave real news? We are going to see an epidemic of people believing lies that are sourced out as being facts by these news sites and our future children will be following along blindly so doesn't that seem scary?

Was there a time when you believed that all the news was the truth - completely unbiased and unobscured by assumption and bias?

I personally don't watch television and take everything I do happen to see or hear about from large corporate news entities (in particular) with a fairly large amount of reserve. Often they are more interconnected than one might be led to believe if one thinks the western world has true "freedom of press" while the largest news information sources are beholden to just a few large share holders and corporate entities. Even without the spin often the core stories turn out to be fabrications - completely or to some degree. When any news organization is caught deliberately manufacturing lies (not just repeating them) - they are off my list as a credible source of information. That doesn't mean they don't report news that happens to be true - it just means that they are under pressure from some source and will acquiesce to complete bull when instructed to.

As for a scary future time when there is an epidemic of people believing lies - we are already here and have been for some time, on a variety of different subjects. I think the variety of sources of information is a blessing - it provides the opportunity for people to weight arguments for the positions that are presented - instead of only being presented with one source of information to the exclusion of everything else.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I thought this might be the appropriate place to place this.

Whether we like it or not - the technology already exists to make any person who has public video of themselves speaking on record say *anything* using their own voice and facial features - and this can be done in real time.

Imagine the implications of that. Someone could frame you with your own voice and unique facial features, in real time. If it's on a "trusted" news source - 10's of millions of people would just believe it - because they saw a video.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Try the BBC and maybe Al Jazeera. Avoid CNN & FOX.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Try the BBC and maybe Al Jazeera. Avoid CNN & FOX.

The BBC has knowingly and purposefully participated in fabricating fiction with regards to certain events - like footage relating to building 7 on 9/11 and associated tear jerking stories about the general event - so they are off my list of trusted sources. CNN has long been involved in deceptive news and Fox plays a role as well, so we agree they are not trustworthy.

In general I distrust corporate news. The "profit above anything else" motive leads to a lot of bad practices. In addition - in today's information situation with the internet and various resources outside of "mainstream" media - I feel that the dragons of yester-year's entertainment also have an increased need to "up the anti" in order to get people to pay attention to them at all. The era of media monopoly is, for the moment, over for them.

Wilhemena

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
The BBC has knowingly and purposefully participated in fabricating fiction with regards to certain events - like footage relating to building 7 on 9/11 and associated tear jerking stories about the general event - so they are off my list of trusted sources. CNN has long been involved in deceptive news and Fox plays a role as well, so we agree they are not trustworthy.

In general I distrust corporate news. The "profit above anything else" motive leads to a lot of bad practices. In addition - in today's information situation with the internet and various resources outside of "mainstream" media - I feel that the dragons of yester-year's entertainment also have an increased need to "up the anti" in order to get people to pay attention to them at all. The era of media monopoly is, for the moment, over for them.

If you are not receiving any news from news sources then whom do you trust and where are you receiving news?

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
If you are not receiving any news from news sources then whom do you trust and where are you receiving news?

International News is a kind of news I cannot personally verify - but I can look for evidence of what is likely true or likely false. For example, I don't live in Europe, so I read a story about massive increases of rape over the last few decades coinciding with massive influx of Islamic people. That one story won't convince me - but if I see story after story from all kinds of media "big" news, and "little" news (and not just repeating the same material either) - along with not just one or 2 "amateur" shots - but tons of them (that don't have glaring problems and inconsistencies like some recent events *) , witness testimony that is believable, shots of things one might see uploaded to youtube or other video hosting sites - like people just filming migrants from their vehicles (sometimes having stuff thrown at their vehicles), and news coverage that isn't myopic in either it's output or the source - then it stands in my mind a much better chance of being likely to be true.

So I do receive news from various sources, but it's usually closely checked and scrutinized, especially if it's not "run of the mill" news and is important in the broader scheme of things. This applies to International News or non-local-to-me news. My local news is much easier to verify - harder for big corporate giants and various international interests to just make some stuff up about things I can check for myself.

* The recent event I doubt happened, or happened like they say is the so called Egyptian Church Bombings. I made a video analyzing 2 of the "video evidences" that they provided on my youtube channel. The one person who has responded also made a video on it I discovered afterward - which is - in some ways - better than mine at exposing the falseness and improbability of the video evidence being true. That a whole bunch of media covered this does not make the video evidence compelling, as some might think - it only means it got lots of media coverage and "how could they all be wrong?" When one is showing the same videos on all the news stations - it's not like a lot of real investigative reporting is going on - just a bunch of news stations parroting "news".

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Sure sure, dont trust BBC, CNN, FOX, and a bunch of others, but muslum tv al jazeero is okay. Riiiiight! :squidward: :smashfreakb: :boggled:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Sure sure, dont trust BBC, CNN, FOX, and a bunch of others, but muslum tv al jazeero is okay. Riiiiight! :squidward: :smashfreakb: :boggled:

Al Jazeera seems fairly reliable BBC too. In Australia SBS and ABC are both fairly good.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
Last edited:
Top Bottom