Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
The new 2016 stats are out:

Barna Report said:
Most people in this country identify as Christian. Almost three-quarters of Americans (73%) say they are a Christian, while only one-fifth (20%) claim no faith at all (that includes atheists and agnostics). A fraction (6%) identify with faiths like Islam, Buddhism, Judaism or Hinduism, and 1 percent are unsure.

https://www.barna.com/research/state-church-2016/

As with previous 'research', Barna has chosen to remain with dubious (imo) definitions, although there are some new differentiations within the "Christian" category. He tends to toe traditionally Evangelical lines, as with previous research. He also adds a curious "Post-Christian" category.

Barna Report said:
Born again: Have made a personal commitment to Jesus Christ that is still important in their life today and believe that, when they die, they will go to heaven because they have confessed their sins and accepted Jesus Christ as their savior.

Evangelical Christian: Meet the born again criteria plus seven other conditions. These conditions include saying their faith is very important in their life today; believing they have a personal responsibility to share their religious beliefs about Christ with non-Christians; believing that Satan exists; believing that Jesus Christ lived a sinless life on earth; asserting that the Bible is accurate in all that it teaches; believing that eternal salvation is possible only through grace, not works; and describing God as the all-knowing, all-powerful, perfect deity who created the universe and still rules it today. Being classified as an evangelical is not dependent upon church attendance or the denominational affiliation of the church attended. Respondents were not asked to describe themselves as “evangelical.”

Bible-minded: believe the Bible is accurate in all the principles it teaches and have read the Scriptures within the past week.

Churched: attended church in the past month
Unchurched: have not attended church in the past 6 months

Practicing Christian: Those who attend a religious service at least once a month, who say their faith is very important in their lives and self-identify as a Christian
Non-practicing Christian: Those who self-identify as a Christian but do not qualify as a practicing Christian

Post-Christian: To qualify as “post-Christian,” individuals had to meet 60% or more of the following factors (nine or more). “Highly post-Christian” individuals meet 80% or more of the factors (12 or more of these 15 criteria):

Do not believe in God, Identify as atheist or agnostic, Disagree that faith is important in their lives, Have not prayed to God (in the last year), Have never made a commitment to Jesus, Disagree the Bible is accurate, Have not donated money to a church (in the last year), Have not attended a Christian church (in the last year), Agree that Jesus committed sins, Do not feel a responsibility to “share their faith”, Have not read the Bible (in the last week), Have not volunteered at church (in the last week), Have not attended Sunday school (in the last week), Have not attended religious small group (in the last week), Do not participate in a house church ( in the last year).

What I notice throughout the whole thing, however, is that despite language such as "a majority of Americans" and "a significant number of Americans", along with identifying only 6% belonging to other faith groups (???), his total sample was a whopping 5,137

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The sample of 5,137 sounds about the same as in past years, isn't it?

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
The sample of 5,137 sounds about the same as in past years, isn't it?

I'd have to look at it. I believe that was one objection. Another was his rather limited definition of "Christian", which followed (I believe) the 'Born Again' model. He accepted that it was somewhat limited, but the new poll doesn't seem to do much to redefine things. I think one could disagree doctrinally with his 'born again' model, yet still be distinctly Christian. So the changes don't go far enough.

*I've been trying to find the previous polls (I won't call it research), but haven't had luck as yet. I'll keep looking

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I remember conservative Lutherans having a fit over something years ago about this research since it left us out or lumped us with the liberal synod making us look like we believed something we didn't? I can't remember the details of what happened really.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We have a lot of work to do....

"the fields are ripe for the harvest....." a wise man noted.

Top Bottom