Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I had a friend who once told me he would be honored to die for the sake of Jesus. He wasn't thinking about dying from cancer or any other disease though because his mind was focused on dying from persecution by non-believers.

Clearly my friend had no idea how God would use him once he was stricken with cancer. He didn't want to die like that and didn't realize that it could still be for the sake of Jesus so that perhaps someone would come to know the Savior. He grew bitter and his faith faltered a bit.

I thought about all that when I was afflicted with cancer. I didn't want to die either and couldn't figure out why God would want to do that to me in order to use me for His purpose. I felt forsaken even though everyone around me was telling me how much He loved me. It felt like a punishment even though it wasn't.

God can use our trials and sufferings for His benefit. He doesn't need to ask us first if that's okay. We belong to Him and He can mold His clay in any shape He wants, even allowing those pieces to break apart.

During my recovery I had some good moments where people realized I was a Christian and knew I was different. The patients they usually dealt with might have had Christians among them but their attitude was grave and bitter. My attitude was not so dreary. I smiled at all who helped me. I thanked them for the little things. I was appreciative of their help. And I brought joy into their lives. But God isn't telling us that we have to smile when we hurt or don't feel well. We don't have to be happy about His using us for the sake of His mission in drawing in His sheep. Our hardships aren't going to be fun and carefree!

Yet, God uses us and others see that we remain in faith even when we could turn away from Him so easily.

I have another surgery coming up. I might lose my song voice. I don't want to lose it. My doctor, knowing how much I want to sing at church prevented damage to my vocal chords during my first surgery. This next one he can't make any promises and I will lose some of my range which is very wide at the moment. My reply to him, "If I can't sing then I can still draw and I play the flute...and I'll live." My doctor smiles at my attitude because he knows I cling to God no matter what the outcome. In His name let us give thanks and praise.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Not too many Christian martyrs in the USA right now (are in some countries of the world)...

I would hesitate to volunteer for the role.... but I hope I would be willing if I was pitted between denouncing Christ or being a martyr...

I highly suggest the book "Silence." It will serve as one tool to stir your faith and thoughts on this....

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No way to know till that time would come

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Hmm.

Some years ago, I knew an older couple who attended the same church as me at the time. The man was a muso and we both appreciated the same types of music and he was pretty laid back. We became friends.

His wife was slightly debilitated due to medical issues. Although she did manage to get out and mingle a bit she mostly just stayed home and watched mind numbing television. With respect to this(television), she bored me to tears "catching me up" on all the garbage she made part of her life and her mind.

But, she was a Christian also and no sooner had I met them that I was told of her miraculous experience, and reminded of it throughout the years I knew her.

To summarize: According to her story, while in hospital due to an aneurysm in her brain, the equipment monitoring her vital signs was showing she was clinically dead while her body was up and about and singing and praising Jesus. According to her, all the doctors and other staff that witnessed this were amazed. That is not an exaggeration, and it turned out this was a major part of her "testimony" in a nutshell.

What did her husband say about this when him and I were alone? He actually didn't say much except: "she was a different person before her aneurysm". This was said with some resignation, not enthusiasm. I got the distinct impression that he was not only not impressed, but that the whole experience was a cross to bear for him, not a source of faith, or joy. He also warned me not to confront her directly on her experience.

Later, as him and I became better friends, I found out how deep the tension ran. She didn't want sex with him. It was "dirty" and not in line with her hyper spirituality. Of the flesh. Part of the "sinful nature". She was above that now with what she called the witness of the Spirit and her testimony. She was also clear that she didn't think he was on her level of the faith, and this I witnessed in numerous ways through her angry outbursts.

Not only touched by the very hand of Jesus, she described herself as a "prayer warrior" and would often "counsel" the downtrodden and weak in faith with her testimony. Apparently she thought I was one of those, because although a believer, I had certain misgivings about aspects of the faith, and I got to hear her miraculous story again and again. I began to suspect over time that there was an element of pride and vanity in this - part of her need to be relevant in the church community as a whole. At one time (and I don't remember how), I questioned her experience or some aspect of it, and her reply was:

"If you don't believe me, you can ask X, as she was there when it all happened".

X was a nurse we both knew and were friends with. I didn't bother asking X for the longest time but one day when I had her apart from my two friends I asked her point blank what she knew of my friend's miraculous account. The answer was plain and as follows:

"I really have no idea as I was not there. She says she had this miraculous experience but I really don't know."

Truth at last.

Some time later, I moved and was not in contact for some time. After some years, I inquired of someone who also knew the couple and found that they had divorced and she died not long after.

What's the moral of this true story? I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it's clear that faith built on a lie not only will not ultimately impress your friends as you think it does, it may actually help them be better doubters, and because of the pride and vanity attached to it, may help destroy a relationship also.

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That's an odd little story, Strav. Of course I wasn't referring to miraculous experiences (or lies about them) but instead relating that God could use us in our suffering. We might not know what little ways He's using us even. For people who want to fight for Jesus but are upset when they have to fight for their lives, they don't see the relevance of God at work. But it's nice to know that our suffering isn't for naught even though we have no idea in what ways it's been used to benefit His kingdom.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
That's an odd little story, Strav. Of course I wasn't referring to miraculous experiences (or lies about them) but instead relating that God could use us in our suffering. We might not know what little ways He's using us even. For people who want to fight for Jesus but are upset when they have to fight for their lives, they don't see the relevance of God at work. But it's nice to know that our suffering isn't for naught even though we have no idea in what ways it's been used to benefit His kingdom.

It may seem odd to you, but it is a true story. I have not embellished it one whit.

As for disease and some sort of witness to God, it seems to me that Christ did this best when He actually healed diseases, not proclaiming to the sufferers that they would continue to suffer as some sort of means of character witness to His glory. This may seem harsh, but it is the typical fallback position when a person asks for miraculous healing and it's not granted.

I can drink a whole lot of alcohol in a short time, throw up, get possible alcohol poisoning and suffer with smiles, but none of it glorifies God.
I can drink a bottle of pure nicotine and suffer and possibly even die in short order due to the poison, but none of it glorifies God.

I can eat a diet rich in animal fat (Torah condemns) and after a time, suffer and eventually die of heart disease, but none of this glorifies God.

Taking the default position that "God made it so" is avoiding responsibility for actions (in the short, or longer term) and placing the blame on God while maintaining that it was His Will that it be so really doesn't glorify God. Even if it's done with thank you's and smiles.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It may seem odd to you, but it is a true story. I have not embellished it one whit.

As for disease and some sort of witness to God, it seems to me that Christ did this best when He actually healed diseases, not proclaiming to the sufferers that they would continue to suffer as some sort of means of character witness to His glory. This may seem harsh, but it is the typical fallback position when a person asks for miraculous healing and it's not granted.

I can drink a whole lot of alcohol in a short time, throw up, get possible alcohol poisoning and suffer with smiles, but none of it glorifies God.
I can drink a bottle of pure nicotine and suffer and possibly even die in short order due to the poison, but none of it glorifies God.

I can eat a diet rich in animal fat (Torah condemns) and after a time, suffer and eventually die of heart disease, but none of this glorifies God.

Taking the default position that "God made it so" is avoiding responsibility for actions (in the short, or longer term) and placing the blame on God while maintaining that it was His Will that it be so really doesn't glorify God. Even if it's done with thank you's and smiles.

You entirely miss the point of what I wrote. I am not blaming God but accepting that no matter what happens to us that God can use it to His benefit.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Have you had the surgery yet Lamm?

I am always polite to people at the clinics and hospital, too. They are there to help us after all.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Have you had the surgery yet Lamm?

I am always polite to people at the clinics and hospital, too. They are there to help us after all.

Yes, all my surgeries are completed now so I'm just recovering and trying to adjust to my new meds now that I don't have a thyroid. Some days I get so very cold that I don't want to move but I force myself to do it.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
pray you are better soon

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What's the moral of this true story? I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it's clear that faith built on a lie not only will not ultimately impress your friends as you think it does, it may actually help them be better doubters, and because of the pride and vanity attached to it, may help destroy a relationship also.

At my previous church there was a lady who never missed the chance to share testimony of the great things God was apparently doing in her life. Most of them were so utterly mundane I'd be embarrassed to claim them as evidence God was showing favor to me, like the time she was lost and prayed about it and by the grace of God she found her way home (this in a city criss-crossed with major routes and surrounded by an internationally known ring road). For myself, if I heard her endless testimonies through the ears of a thinking non-believer I think my doubts would be strengthened on the back of this mysterious God apparently doing nothing better for his people than any reasonably competent adult could manage for themselves.

That said I think Lammchen has some very good points here. When people are facing serious illness or death and maintain their faith in God regardless, it's a lot more noteworthy than when someone who is wealthy and healthy professes a faith that God is there for him. It's much easier to praise God in the good times, when everything is going well. When people still praise God in the bad times it's more noteworthy - I certainly pay a lot more attention to people who follow God even when it costs them something, than in people who say they follow God but abandon ship at the first sign of trouble.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My pastor brought up a point in church on Sunday that in the US the period when people went to church the most was during the Great Depression. Living through hard times brings people to God as they realize they aren't in control of their lives.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My pastor brought up a point in church on Sunday that in the US the period when people went to church the most was during the Great Depression. Living through hard times brings people to God as they realize they aren't in control of their lives.

One thing I often find curious is when people who insist there is no God then turn around after a natural disaster and ask how a deity that apparently doesn't exist could have allowed it.

Lucian Hodoboc

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
She didn't want sex with him. It was "dirty" and not in line with her hyper spirituality. Of the flesh. Part of the "sinful nature". She was above that now with what she called the witness of the Spirit and her testimony.
Sounds about right. Most Christian monks and nuns will tell you this: the more time you devout to praying and seeking God, the more you lose interest in sex and the filthier the act itself seems to you.

Top Bottom