Why Are Christians Relying on Politics

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Over the past years I have noticed a distinct lack of any call to prayer in Christianity within western countries. Instead I observe Christians picking up the sword of government to force their image of Christianity upon society.

Conservative Christians and Liberal Christians both use the Bible to condemn their opponents and create a prooftext to justify their behavior.

Christians seem to have placed their faith in politics and then ask God to make their political plan work. What will people do if God's plans are not their plans? Will they repent and walk in step with the Spirit or will they try to manipulate the path God has ordained?

Why have Christians stopped praying as their weapon in battle and instead picked up politics as their weapon in battle?

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Why have Christians stopped praying as their weapon in battle and instead picked up politics as their weapon in battle?

Some of us have not - For the Orthodox, we pray every day for the President and our armed forces, our rulers and local municipalities, for the world and for all mankind...

What I have found, as I walk deeper into this Faith, is that there are hidden prayer warriors whom one would not suspect were anything of the kind, who are silently carrying the world on their shoulders of prayer... There is always a remnant... Yet the world, like Sodom and Ghemorrah, will pass from existence as it is now known, when the last of these Lights is extinguished...

Great post, Menno...

Arsenios

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Some of us have not - For the Orthodox, we pray every day for the President and our armed forces, our rulers and local municipalities, for the world and for all mankind...

What I have found, as I walk deeper into this Faith, is that there are hidden prayer warriors whom one would not suspect were anything of the kind, who are silently carrying the world on their shoulders of prayer... There is always a remnant... Yet the world, like Sodom and Ghemorrah, will pass from existence as it is now known, when the last of these Lights is extinguished...

Great post, Menno...

Arsenios
Well said. The simple answer to this question is lack of faith and trust in God. As a nation we quit relying on God a long time ago for if we really relied on Him then we would not look to the government for help in any form, same problem with healing, lack of faith and trust. If we trily trusted God He would be our source and healer, doctors have a God given ability to heal some things but only so we can be healed until we build outr faith to be able to rely on God without doubting. Doctors were never intended to be the answer,on ly a stopgap.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Over the past years I have noticed a distinct lack of any call to prayer in Christianity within western countries. Instead I observe Christians picking up the sword of government to force their image of Christianity upon society.

I cant say that I have observed any of that going on. What events, examples, etc. do you have in mind?

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Doctors were never intended to be the answer, only a stopgap.

Of interest in this regard, on the Holy Mountain of Mt. Athos in Greece, which is the Holy Grail of the Orthodox Faith, they do not have so much as an aspirin - Serious illnesses are treated after transfer by boat to a mainland hospital... For us, hard to imagine... For them, Glory to God in ALL things... We like the idea, and to talk the talk, but most of us run when the rubber really encounters the road - I sure do - An acetominaphin a day I say!

The premise is that in the God-quest in which they are embarked, great gifts come only with great overcomings... Some have prayed for and received cancer, that they might suffer and die of it for the sake of the Kingdom of God... One of the justifications for the evils of this world is that they teach you that this world is not about this world... And that we need look well beyound the pleasures and pains of this world of life and death in our God-quest for the Kingdom of Heaven while here walking the earth...

Paul wrote of the pre-Christian Saints, who in their sufferings were such "Of whom the world is not worthy..."

Arsenios

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Our congregation includes at times the President or other politicians during our prayers. We pray that God's will be done. My pastor does not force his political views upon the congregation and I'm happy for that...even though he and I probably would agree on most things.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I cant say that I have observed any of that going on. What events, examples, etc. do you have in mind?
Mostly my liberal and conservative friends on Facebook. They post articles from their political perspective that use the Bible to condemn the other side as barbaric. I see posts from liberal, social gospel preachers as well as conservative preachers like Franklin Graham. In all of these articles the Christian leaders are calling for political action...and by the way...pray like I do...
Where is the exile, the saint, who prays for the peace of the city in which they reside? Where is that Christian recognition that we are exiles in a foreign land, not dogged patriots of a worldly region ruled by a government of men?

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Well said. The simple answer to this question is lack of faith and trust in God. As a nation we quit relying on God a long time ago for if we really relied on Him then we would not look to the government for help in any form, same problem with healing, lack of faith and trust. If we trily trusted God He would be our source and healer, doctors have a God given ability to heal some things but only so we can be healed until we build outr faith to be able to rely on God without doubting. Doctors were never intended to be the answer,on ly a stopgap.
Another topic regarding doctors and faith...
God certainly ordains doctors (see Luke as an example) to help healing. But no one can stop the reality of death.
We are called to anoint with oil and pray for healing (James 5). We do this in faith, also recognizing that full healing happens when we are brought safely home to our Father's mansion. We live here as exiles in a foreign land where disease, famine and strife reside.

Top Bottom