Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
This story was written regarding Urban Meyer the football head coach at Ohio State University

(CNN)"Ohio State University football coach and three-time national championship winner Urban Meyer is on paid leave as the school investigates exactly what he knew about the spousal abuse allegations leveled against his longtime assistant.
Courtney Smith, ex-wife of former Ohio State wide receivers coach Zach Smith, spoke to Stadium sports network, outlining accusations that Zach Smith on various occasions threw her against a wall, picked her up by her neck, took a golf club to her car and broke her windshield after a recruiting dinner.
This came on top of emotional, verbal and psychological abuse, as well as attempts to financially drain her, she told the network. The abuse began in 2009, she said. Through his attorney, Zach Smith has denied the allegations"

what do you think? Will Urban Meyer's coach again? Should he be allowed to if he knew about allegations?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
OSU is not likely to just "do the right thing" when it comes to its football fortunes. Other schools would, but I would not hold my breath in this case. That said, it really will depend on how serious the charges are. Woody Hayes was a dead duck after doing what he did on national TV. Jim Tressel had a long history of cutting corners. Urban Meyer does not seem to have either of those things going against him, so he has a chance.

Last edited:

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I doubt that Meyer's will coach again at Ohio State. I think they hold on to him for a couple more weeks or until the season starts then let him go. Maybe hoping that this minimizes the chance he will go to another school that plays against them. Maybe that is cynical of me to think that way

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Personally I dont think he did anything wrong but there is still the investigation to go

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I doubt that Meyer's will coach again at Ohio State. I think they hold on to him for a couple more weeks or until the season starts then let him go. Maybe hoping that this minimizes the chance he will go to another school that plays against them. Maybe that is cynical of me to think that way

That would be unnecessarily injurious to the team, so I doubt this scenario. If he goes, it will be soon, before the season starts. But it may be more likely that they drag out the investigation until the season is over, and then let him go (if it comes to that).

In either case, it would be unusual for a coach dismissed in this way to coach again in the same conference. And of course, every other Big Ten team already has its head coach in place and under contract for the coming year.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That would be unnecessarily injurious to the team, so I doubt this scenario. If he goes, it will be soon, before the season starts. But it may be more likely that they drag out the investigation until the season is over, and then let him go (if it comes to that).

In either case, it would be unusual for a coach dismissed in this way to coach again in the same conference. And of course, every other Big Ten team already has its head coach in place and under contract for the coming year.

I don't actually think it would affect the team that much since he is already not actively coaching since he is on leave

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes, but if he goes in mid-season, players will be eligible to transfer without penalty and, also, the question would immediately arise as to who would be hired as his replacement, what changes that person might intend to make, and so on.

Top Bottom