Scripture For the Practice of the Worship of the Holy Spirit With the Father & the Son?

Ask a Pastor

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
On the internet, they had provided Genesis 1:2 but that doesn't really teach the practice of the worship of the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son.

Genesis 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. KJV

However, there are scripture for why I cannot find any scripture to teach the practice of the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son.

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life. KJV

Jesus did say that He is the only way to come to God the Father by & I believe that has to be including worship, fellowship, & prayer.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. KJV

I see this as a warning for ignoring what Jesus has said next.

John 10:1Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. KJV

This judgment from Jesus is why I believe it is the Father's will on how the Father specifically wants us to honor Him by.

John 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him. KJV

That last part of verse 23 is the discerning verse because there is no wiggle room for honoring the Holy Spirit in worship because the moment we stop honoring the Son, we are no longer honoring the Father.

I read Paul as stressing obedience to having this mind of Christ we are to have in worship.

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. 12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. 13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. ~ KJV

One report of a believer online from India in another Christian forum had testified that he used to not believe the Holy Spirit would still do dramatic manifestations like He did in the early church days & went on to share with me that his church was honoring the Holy Spirit on Pentecostal Sunday when he felt something like liquid nitrogen seeping through his skull & the next thing he knew, he was confessing "against his will" an apology to the Holy Spirit for not believing He did those dramatic manifestations today as He did back in the early church days.

I am certain that was not of the Lord because #1. God wants a willing apology & not a coerced one & $ 2 Feeing the "Holy Spirit" seeping into his skull is akin to saying he was receiving the "Holy Spirit" again when scriptures exposes it for the spirit of the antichrist for what it is per 1 John 4:1-4. 1 John 4:2 is the same thing as saying 2 Corinthians 13:5 in testifying where Jesus Christ is presently as being in us. Many scholars seem to think this was about some false teaching denying that Jesus had never come in the flesh but the wording "is come" in the KJV means presently as to where Jesus Christ is. Verse 3 confirms this rightly dividing the word of truth when it points to where the spirit of the antichrist is at; outside of us in the world. Then verse 4 confirms again where Jesus Christ is in testing the spirits as greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world. So whenever a saved believer feel a spirit coming over them later in life, that was not the real Holy Spirit since He has been received since we had first believed at the calling of the gospel.

2 Thessalonians 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: 14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle. ~ KJV

If we were to observe all the phenomenon of confusion that we believe is not of God like "slain in the spirit" & holy laughter movement whereby they focus on the Holy Spirt in worship, addressing the Holy Spirit or praying to the Holy Spirit, whether to come & fall on them or to come to the worship place to feel His Presence outside of us, then we have to ask why God would allow the devil to come when the focus was on the Holy Spirit to respond? Cause & effect is that God will permit the strong delusion to occur for believing the lie that the Holy Spirit can be received again &/or the iniquity of approaching God the Father by going around the Son in worship, fellowship, or prayer.

This practice is everywhere now. Jesus did say the way will be broadened by false prophets in an ecumenical way ( modified Nicene creed or 381 A.D.? ) & many churches follow after it but the way is narrow & in the last days the heed to strive to enter is required to avoid that iniquity or else Luke 13:24-30

Anyway, I think I laid out my concerns & so my question to you or anyone is where is the scripture that "teaches" the practice to the New Testament churches of worshiping the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son when there are scripture saying specifically the Father's will in how He wants us to come to Him by & how to honor Him by. Thank you for your time & service.

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Hello

If I read this correctly, it seems your concerns stem from the excesses of the Charismatic/Pentecostal branches of the Church. One of the dangers in such a reaction is “throwing the baby out with the bathwater.” This reaction seems to be throwing out the Holy Spirit in a desire to remain focused on Jesus. But it is the Holy Spirit who focuses us on Jesus, bringing us faith in him.

Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking in the Spirit of God ever says “Jesus is accursed!” and no one can say “Jesus is Lord” except in the Holy Spirit. (1 Corinthians 12:3)

The Genesis 1:2 passage is used to establish that the Holy Spirit is God, Third Person of the Trinity. There is only one true God whom we are to worship, but he has revealed himself in Three Persons.

You shall have no other gods before me. (Exodus 20:3)

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, (Matthew 28:19)

As the Holy Spirit is God, he is deserving of our worship.

We have a wonderful expression of the Trinity in the opening verses of Ephesians 4.

There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call—one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. (Ephesians 4:4-6)

Another simple verse that speaks of the Spirit as Divine is found in John 4.

“God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.” (John 4:24)

We easily also find the Trinity in Isaiah 48, which includes worship specifically.

"Draw near to me (in worship), hear this: from the beginning I have not spoken in secret, from the time it came to be I have been there.” And now the Lord (Jesus) God (Father) has sent me, and his (Holy) Spirit. (Isaiah 48:16)

So, as the Holy Spirit is God, Third Person of the Trinity, and we are to worship God, it follows that we worship the Holy Spirit, as well as the Father and the Son. We worship One God in Three Persons, leaving none out.

For questions like this, and other basic doctrine questions, I recommend Luther’s Small Catechism with explanation – 2017 Edition, published by Concordia Publishing House. Luther's Small Catechism with Explanation - 2017 Edition

Blessings in Christ,

Pastor Rickert

Top Bottom