Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Are the letters in the new testament normal?

The letters in the new testament seem very unusual, really abnormal, for letters. They contain complicated sentences and intricate pieces of subtle reasoning as well as moral advice and some theological statements. They are, on the whole, more like papal encyclicals than like letters. Which makes me wonder about the proper way - if one exists - to interpret what is said in them. What do you think?

Manonfire63

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
There is a spiritual understanding towards reading the Bible. The Spiritual is complicated and other dimensional. In Ezekiel 1, and the Book of Revelations, someone had a vision. This vision was other dimensional. Other dimensional things, they are often explained in Allegories; Jesus talked talked in Parables. Understanding spiritual things takes a higher level of thinking.

The Old Testament, for example, we can read a lot of it as a narrative or story. There is the story of creation, and of Abraham. The story of Moses and the birth of Israel the Nation. The Stories of the Kings of Israel. The New Testament, other than the story of Jesus, and his ministry, understanding it takes a higher or different level of thinking. Ultimately, this comes from God. Someone is seeking God with all their heart and soul and strength and mind. They are working to build God's Kingdom. They become of "One Mind." (Philippians 2:2)

I could walk someone into this type of thinking, but not in a short comment to a reply on this forum.

- We are judge the angels. (1 Corinthians 6:3)

What is man's relationship with God, and the angels that we should judge them? At what standard or threshold is man capable of judging the angels? What did the angels do? Answering these questions gets into things "Extra Biblical" and a spiritual understanding. To be keyed onto the right answers takes God, and someone seeking God, working to be of One Mind with the prophets and some of the Saints.

Manonfire63

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Angelology, it has been a topic that isn't taught much. Why?

- “I tell you, whoever publicly acknowledges me before others, the Son of Man will also acknowledge before the angels of God. (Luke 12:8)

There have been a lot of division in Christianity. Angels have functions. Would man try to start a war in heaven? Coming into a Spiritual understanding takes meekness to God. The Lord is a shepherd. Someone is humbling themselves, their will is made low, till their will aligns with God's good plans for them. God's plan is God's Kingdom. A fulfillment of God's Kingdom may mean the Greater Church comes back together at some time through God's Holy Spirit.

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Are the letters in the new testament normal?

The letters in the new testament seem very unusual, really abnormal, for letters. They contain complicated sentences and intricate pieces of subtle reasoning as well as moral advice and some theological statements. They are, on the whole, more like papal encyclicals than like letters. Which makes me wonder about the proper way - if one exists - to interpret what is said in them. What do you think?

I would say they are not 'normal' if by 'normal' you mean a letter by the world's standard. For, after all, they are from God, and deal with the things of God. They are 'normal' in that they have a human writer and certain person or audience they are addressed to.

I would ask, do you see the Old Testament interpreted differently? Should it be?

Many things involve ones interpretation. Should it be interpreted literally or symbolically? And those who hold to literal interpretation, myself included, also interpret symbolically. And those who hold to symbolical interpretation, also interpret many areas literally. It's just at times we disagree on what is literal or symbolical. And one should remember that all symbolical interpretation, results in a literal truth. So if you misunderstand the 'symbol' you can't arrive at the truth.

The Bible, though made up of many books, is one book Whose Author is God. Thus every single book of the Bible contributes to the whole Bible in understanding what God is doing and saying.

But, though God is writing one Book, the human writer is writing his own individual book or books, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. To do this, God creates a situation among his people that needs to be addressed. He calls forth a prophet or apostle to address that. All the prophet knows is that he is writing God's will towards that which needs to be addressed, which is what God wants. But God is not just addressing that single issue, He is also writing a chapter in His one Book, the Bible. And it will fit perfectly into the totality of what God is wanting to say.

So, I believe it is important, when interpreting any one book of the Bible, that we find the reason God wanted each individual Book written. In other words, what is the 'theme' of each book? And then stay with that theme when arriving at an interpretation of that book. And the 'theme' is going to be found within each book. Such as (John 20:31).

Lees

Top Bottom