Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Matthew 10:16 "I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves."

In terms of today, who are the wolves?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
The ones who sneak in and try to lead people, congregations, and denoms astray, I think the issue of gay ordination is a great example

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
In modern times I think maybe prosperity preachers who exploit the gospel for prophet and encourage others to follow them in the same manner... that monetary wealth is evidence of Faith, I find it contradicts Christ's teachings of distributing your riches among the poor.
They offer lotteries to their followers by asking for large amounts of donations for a seven fold increase ("blessing")..
They speak well of encouraging Christians to read their bibles but the sermons they preach are usually based around a verse or passage out of context, making them seem credible when really they are taking away and devaluing the Gospel by exploiting naive babes in Christ..
So by being wise as serpents we witness to followers of false prophets the Gospel and expose the men of sin, it's not so easy actually, but obviously we are doing right lest we all partake in prosperity preachers or belief that you can be a miracle healer but blame the outcome of the healing on the measure of ones persons strength in faith..
Instead of going to church they create a false church surrounding them and draw away folk who might have been compelled to seek a more unified, organized and disciplined church instead of mega arenas and sell out televised productions

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think anyone who turns us away from the true Gospel and teaches a false one, no matter how appealing it may be, is a wolf.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Many of the appealing variations of the gospel seem to be more about giving us what we want rather than us giving God what he wants.

Whether it be a permissive approach that doesn't worry too much about sin, promise of financial prosperity, promise of healing in this life, it's all theological toxic waste. The simple truth is that we are not guaranteed prosperity - the people who talk about things like positive confessions must think Jesus was a total putz when he said things like "the son of man has nowhere to lay his head". Jesus said the world would hate us, which is a far cry from the way some well known names seem to think we can and should have money and power in this world.

Top Bottom