Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
For instance, on this particular question I've gotten a long response about "Invincible Ignorance". With some saying that if someone has tried to convince you that the Catholic church is "necessary" and refuse to join then you no longer have an excuse. When that happens "invincible ignorance" is no longer in play. While others, like you, say that if you accept the fact that the Catholic church is necessary and refuse to join then you no longer have an excuse.
It is as if you tempt God to condemn you by taking the course that you describe. It is not wise to tempt the Lord our God.

Lanman87

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It is as if you tempt God to condemn you by taking the course that you describe. It is not wise to tempt the Lord our God.
How on earth is listening to apologist on Catholic teaching, and not agreeing with them, tempting God to condemn me?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
@Lanman87

Well @MoreCoffee is good to suggest we look to the latest edition of the ever-changing Catholic Catechism for the current teachings of the individual Catholic Church. My edition is from the 1990's so I don't know if it's current . And the CCC claims nothing about old, out-of-date ones that people may have read or have. If you asked ten Catholics a question about the doctrine or morality taught by the RCC, you'll likely get 10 different answers so the CCC is a better source.

But there's several things you should know about the CCC...

1. It's EIGHT HUNDRED PAGES long, containing some TWO THOUSAND, EIGHT HUNDRED, SIXTY-FIVE individual teaching points (with a few unquoted Scripture footnotes here and there on rare occasion). 800 pages long. 2,865 teachings. In very technical in its language; it's hard reading.

2. So, it's not so surprising that very, very few Catholics have actually READ it.... much less study or know it. Very few. I have, but I'm not sure I know of even one Catholic lay person that also has. Maybe, but not that I know of. IF they have one at all, it's a REFERENCE book, like a dictionary, but rarely even that. That's what it was in my home: on a shelf but never used.

3. While the denomination has given the current one it's stamp of approval, it's NOT official. It's meant to be a non-official summery for laity... which is why it can justify its constant changing of it while insisting (wrongly) that it's doctrine doesn't change. And remember: It's translated into many, many languages... and the translations are not approved. So don't be surprised if you ask a question about the very technical, precise language of a point and be told "well, that's a bad translation." I know; been there. And a Catholic may quote from some older Catechism (sometimes they will quote a reference number that doesn't match the one in your catechism).

BTW, Lutherans may also refer some to their Catechism. But it's perhaps 10 pages long (and most of that not doctrine) and there's only one, it's never been revised or changed or edited.

Blessings on your Easter season..

- Josiah

Last edited:
Top Bottom