Jazzy

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Why did Jesus entrust Mary to the apostle John instead of to HIs brothers? Mary was most certainly a widow at this point in her life and also an older woman. Though she had other sons, Jesus chose John to provide care for Mary after His death. Why?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Why did Jesus entrust Mary to the apostle John instead of to HIs brothers? Mary was most certainly a widow at this point in her life and also an older woman. Though she had other sons, Jesus chose John to provide care for Mary after His death. Why?

1. We don't know..... all can GUESS but that's all it would be, a GUESS. I'm not sure pure GUESSING is helpful to or for anything. Indeed, it often just proves divisive. There is a certain wisdom in admitting "I don't know." Even "it is not known."

2. It is not known if Jesus had biological half brothers. He MAY have, He MAY not have - the Bible just doesn't say (Note: the word for "brothers" often quoted is a very, very generic word that USUALLY does NOT indicate a biological brother - it CAN but usually doesn't). BTW, it is sometimes theorized that John was a cousin of Jesus and thus, while not a blood half-brother, he may have been a close relative.

3. It is often theorized that the "brothers" of Jesus were not believers. Why? No one knows. But it is often believed that they BECAME believers AFTER the Resurrection of Jesus, AFTER when Jesus entrusted Mary to John. It MAY be that Jesus did not want His mother entrusted to an unbeliever, although certainly Jesus knew such would become a believer.

Bottom line: While it seems unusual to entrust His mother to one who was not her son, we simply don't know WHY He did. And for 2,000 years, it has been considered okay to admit that: we don't know.

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes

One verse, I believe, answers this question.

(John 2:24) "But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men." In other words, Jesus knew who would best have his mother's interest at heart.

And John was the disciple whom Jesus loved. (John 13:23) (John 20:2) (John 21:7) (John 13:23)

Jesus probably had a difficult time in His raising. His brothers didn't like Him. I doubt Joseph showed much affection towards Him.

Jesus did not choose on the basis of physical family. He declared that earlier already. (Matt. 12:48) He chose on the basis of those who had received Him and loved Him, because He loved them. And John, of all the disciples, knew Jesus loved him.

And who else of the disciples was there at the Cross? Only John, because he loved Him, because he knew Jesus loved him.

Lees

Manonfire63

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Jesus had brothers. A Prophet is honored everywhere except for his hometown.
53 When Jesus had finished these parables, he moved on from there. 54 Coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue, and they were amazed. “Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?” they asked. 55 “Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t his mother’s name Mary, and aren’t his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas? 56 Aren’t all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?” 57 And they took offense at him.
But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own town and in his own home.”
58 And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith. (Matthew 13:53-58)

How did the people around Jesus' hometown see him? As their childhood playmate? How would a brother or sister see him? As their sibling rival? Even Jesus' brothers did not believe him. (John 7:5)

John was a trusted servant. He showed up with Jesus' mom. Jesus blessed him.

John being entrusted with Jesus' mom may also be part of how he was the only disciple to live to old age.

- You don’t know what you are asking,” Jesus said to them. “Can you drink the cup I am going to drink?” (Matthew 20:22)

- A student is not greater than his teacher. A servant is not above his master. 25 The student shares his teacher’s fate. The servant shares his master’s! And since I, the master of the household, have been called ‘Satan,’[a] how much more will you! 26 But don’t be afraid of those who threaten you. For the time is coming when the truth will be revealed: their secret plots will become public information. (Matthew 10:24-26)

Jesus walked knowingly into his death. That is the cup he drank from. If you love your life you will lose it, if you hate your life, you will receive it eternally. All the disciples, except John, they died in similar ways. John they tried to boil. John still fulfilled the prophecy. He didn't boil. A miracle happened like Daniel in the Lions den. John was exiled to Patmos.

Last edited:

Odë:hgöd

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Constanze Mozart: What are you doing here?
Antonio Salieri: Your husband took sick. I brought him home.
Constanze: But why you?
Salieri: Because, madam, I was at hand.

John was the only apostle to attend Jesus' crucifixion, and the only one to
accompany Jesus' mother, i.e. John was at hand whereas the others had fled.
_

Top Bottom