Going Dutch and sending a Tikkie (Venmo)

Messy

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
https://www.linda.nl/lifestyle/geld/geertje-tikkie-voor-de-friet/

LOVE IS SAYING NO TO FRIES, BUT EAT THEM FROM HIS PLATE, GEERTJE THINKS: 'UNTIL I GOT A TICKIE'
TICKIE TOO MUCH

If you paid for a trip for your girlfriend's birthday, you will receive a Tikkie from her the next day. For that one wine of four euros. The horror.
For the Tikkie Too Much section, we talk to women with absurd Tikkie experiences.

TICKIE TOO MUCH
Today Geertje* (31) tells her story.
Amount Tikkie
€33,75-
Payment request for
French fries
Situation
Geertje's date ordered fries with his burger. She didn't want to have them herself, until they were in front of her. She eats with him. There will be no follow-up date, but a Tikkie.

INFLATION IS THE culprit
“Last month I had a date for the first time after a long time. Gijs – not his real name – and I knew each other through Breeze – a dating app where you have to meet up right away. Nice concept and I was looking forward to it. We decided to meet at a restaurant for a snack and a drink.”

“Gijs decided to order a hamburger. I liked one too. It was such a typical hip restaurant where you have to order the fries separately. Really, why don't burgers come with a generous portion of fries like they used to? If this is inflation to blame then inflation ruined my date.”

EXTRA FRIES
“What happened… Once those fries were on the table, I was looking forward to them. So I ate a few fries from his plate. That's very romantic, isn't it? I say that with a wink, but come on. Should be possible, right? The good fellow thought otherwise, I think. The date was not very noteworthy and I did not mind splitting the bill at all.”

“He paid the amount and would send me a Tikkie. He even took the bill home. I found that so strange, because with the tip, the amount was rounded up to sixty euros. So he could easily send me a Tikkie worth thirty euros. Only I got one for 33.75. He appeared to have accurately divided the bill down to the drink. He added to the app that he had split the price of the fries, because he thought that was fair. I paid and never spoke to him again.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's so much easier to pay your own bill.

From what I gather the dating game these days seems to be a minefield. Some think the man should pay for the first date regardless but with the rise of internet dating apps it seems that's little more than an invitation for women to take advantage and get a free meal any time they want. And then you get the people who will divide up a meal to the nearest penny rather than rounding it, or thinking they'll pay as long as the date goes home with them and then suddenly turn around and expect payment, to the penny, for every single thing the date consumed.

It doesn't seem unreasonable for both sides to pay their own way, at least until you're both confident you actually want to continue to see each other.

Messy

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
There was a Dutch guy who went on a date. Costed 100 euro. Beforehand he said he wanted to split and she was okay with it. They had a nice date, he paid everything and sent her a whatsapp to keep on talking, but she didn't respond anymore, so he wanted his money back and he called the radio to try get his money back and she got mad, 'you earn more than me', so what? She said she would split. And those guys from the radio station are facepalming and can't stop laughing. It's hilarious. The guy was right though. In the end one radio guy says he'll pay him the 50 euro.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think that before people actually meet up that they need to have the conversation of who is going to pay. Then it ends the uncomfortable and awkward conversation later when the bill comes (or after that!).

Messy

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I think that before people actually meet up that they need to have the conversation of who is going to pay. Then it ends the uncomfortable and awkward conversation later when the bill comes (or after that!).
I just assumed I pay half. I'm in Holland after all.

Last edited:

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

But, but, but, having a conversation and discussing like adults takes away all the chance to post screen captures online to show how unreasonable everybody else is being.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
But, but, but, having a conversation and discussing like adults takes away all the chance to post screen captures online to show how unreasonable everybody else is being.

Yeah, I forgot how important it is to be dramatic online.

Messy

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Top Bottom