... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Because to me, if someone can easily use something like God to justify racism or abuse how can I trust that someone isn't just using God or the idea of God to justly something just as bad.

This is where you go back to first principles and look to figure out the nature of God.

If you conclude, as the Bible teaches, that "God so loved the world" that's pretty universal. A racist might present an argument that ultimately boils down to "God so loved the world, well, except for the blacks" which doesn't fit well against the universal love shown in Scripture. If you're not sure whether a claim holds water let it sit in a nominal "I don't know" pile until you get to figure it out. If you never figure it out that may not be a problem, if it's not an issue that makes any impact on how you live.

You can also figure out some simple stuff about what Jesus would have been like as a man. Here in the west we like to portray Jesus as a good old boy with white skin, fair hair and blue eyes. Probably tall, broadly speaking a good looking young man, and so on. We want him to be like us. Except if he was born in Israel 2000 years ago the chances of him being a white man with fair hair and blue eyes are vanishingly small. He would most likely have had olive skin, brown eyes and dark hair. You know, much like the people a lot of racists dislike.

Watch out for logical fallacies wherever they spring up. As we said earlier the fact one faith lied doesn't mean all faiths must be lying, merely that it's possible that they are lying. The name of God being misused in one setting indicates it may be misused in another setting, not that it is being misused in every other setting.

If you look to learn the answers to every question you have it might seem nice but won't help with any future questions. If you look to understand you can figure out answers to other questions as they arise.

BiblicallyCorrect

Religious Affiliation
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
No
Hello, I am a Exmormon and I a finding myself in the middle of a faith crises. I have been lied too, I have been deceived, and I don't know how I can trust any religion now. If one religion can so easily lie how can I have faith in any prophet's word? How can I trust the bible when people can lie so easily about The Book Of Mormon? How can I trust any leader when my leaders lied to me?
And yet here you are again asking strangers for advice on what and how to believe.
My advice to you, is if it is not working for you, don't do it again.
At least you will eliminate the things you do that do not work for you.

Lucian Hodoboc

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
See if this helps:

Lucian Hodoboc

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
her mom had 12 kids from him
So a guy was married to a woman, had 12 kids with her and then decided to get a second wife? Did he leave his first wife? How did this happen? Polygamy is illegal.

Messy

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
So a guy was married to a woman, had 12 kids with her and then decided to get a second wife? Did he leave his first wife? How did this happen? Polygamy is illegal.
She came there and he let her live in his garden in a shed or something and her mother didn't like it, but she had no say. So weird. I saw her mother once. Very soft spoken, sweet woman. She just stayed with him. Maybe she didn't know how to divorce with all those kids. It was really weird. She'd be jealous when the other one could sit in the front seat of the car and she in the back. Crazy. He didn't marry that other one, so then you can do what you want. One guy here had 5 wives. Just not legally married.

Top Bottom